Monthly Archives: November 2013
After several days of crazy shopping sprees, Tuesday, December 3 has been designated as Giving Tuesday. On this day, people are asked to help all those charities who do so much good in their daily lives.
We are participating in Giving Tuesday with a campaign to help raise funds for a colony of cats in Buckeye Lake we’ve been trying to help for the past several months. Dr. Kim West and all of the staff at Health and Harmony Animal Hospital have been working with us on this project. When I was a bit overwhelmed to learn that there were over 40 cats in need of help, Dr. West told me we’d figure out something and help them. She then set up a Good Samaritan Fund through Health and Harmony and did a microchipping fundraiser to get the effort started.
To date, we have spayed and neutered 13 cats using the Good Sam fund–Dr. West has not charged us a penny for the surgeries or vaccines. And these cats really needed our help. We’ve also taken eleven kittens to be adopted. We have four remaining, all siblings–Winkin and Blinkin, TJ and Buff (who are currently at the PetSmart on Sawmill Road looking for their forever home). We’ve also taken three adult cats from this colony for a total of 14 cats that have been pulled to go to new lives.
One of those cats was Scruffy, who came to the Dr. West’s office looking a complete mess (see the before and after photos below). We thought he would lose an eye. His ear was infected, fur matted, and he was FIV positive. But with a lot of love and care, this special boy blossomed and even found a home! A lady who lives just down the street from Health and Harmony saw Scruffy’s profile on Facebook. A kind supporter had written that they hoped Scruffy’s home was “just around the corner.” The lady who adopted him took that as a sign–because she did live just around the corner. So she came in, met Scruffy, and took him home! And now this sweet boy is living the life of a King Cat–which he is!
We think there are approximately 23 cats left that need our help. We set up a special Giving Tuesday fund to help get these final cats fixed before kitten season arrives in February/March.
You can make a donation to this special Giving Tuesday project and help the remaining cats by going HERE.
We will also be fundraising for these kitties when we do our Santa Photos on Saturday, December 14 from 2-4 pm at Health and Harmony, 1117 West First Avenue in Grandview. Our wonderful Santa (Chuck Gaul) will be available for photos with two-legged and four-legged babies. Bring your own camera or phone and take as many pictures as you want for a $5 donation to our fund to help these kitties. We will also be holding a bake sale and someone will be on hand to wrap gifts for a donation.
Here are photos of some of the other kitties we helped from this colony.
The holidays are just around the corner. We will be participating in several holiday fundraisers, but there are also ways you can support us and other rescue groups from your computer by shopping online or by making donations that can be matched. Check out the ideas below.
Here is also a list of where you can come visit us during the holiday season and support our spay and neuter efforts.
1. On Saturday, December 14, from 2-4 pm, we will be taking photos with Santa at Health and Harmony Animal Hospital, 1117 West First Avenue in Grandview.
We are doing things a bit differently than we have done in the past at PetSmart. We’ll still have our wonderful Santa Chuck with us, but this year, we’re asking people to bring their own cameras and phones to take as many photos as they want of Buddy or Fluffy posing on Santa’s lap. There will be a $5 minimum donation that will benefit Black and Orange and the Good Samaritan fund at Health and Harmony (to provide vet care to animals in need). You can, of course, donate more–and we will love you for it. We will also have a photographer on hand who can take photos if you don’t have your phone or camera with you. We’ll get your email address and email those photos to you. You can take photos of four-legged and two-legged kiddos–or even add a few adults to the mix–anyone you want to pose with Santa.
We’ll also have some gift items and bakery goods (doggie treats and people treats) available to purchase. There will also be someone set up to do gift wrapping for a donation.
2. Saturday, November 30 is Small Business Saturday. We will be set up in Plain City Druggist, 480 South Jefferson Avenue in Plain City, from 10 am to noon wrapping all those presents you bought on Black Friday. So bring them in to us and let us wrap them for you. We are just asking for a donation to benefit Black and Orange in exchange for our wrapping expertise. We’ll provide the tape, paper, and ribbons. You provide the boxes to wrap.
3. We’ll also be wrapping presents on Saturday, December 7 from 5:30 to 9 pm during Christmas Under the Clock in Plain City. We’ll be hanging out in Plain City Druggist with all our wrapping gear. So bring in the presents you buy while shopping in downtown Plain City or even in the drugstore and we’ll send them home with you all tied up neatly in a bow (and disguised from the holiday snoops in your house).
Other ways to help without facing the holiday crowds:
1. Please make every gift count this holiday season. More than 1,300 top stores including Amazon, Toys R Us, Best Buy, Apple, Gap, and more will donate a percentage of virtually every sale to Black and Orange Cat Foundation. Just go to GoodShop.com, designate us as the cause you support and then click over to your favorite store. You pay nothing extra–and you can even save money as GoodShop lists thousands of money-saving coupons and free shipping offers. Or, add our toolbar to your browser at http://www.goodsearch.com/toolbar –and your purchase will count even if you forget to go to GoodShop first! There’s no easier way to support us this holiday season! Please spread the word.
Sign up now for Gooddining and every time you eat out with a registered credit card, B and O will get 6%! Find out more by going HERE.
And don’t forget to use GoodSearch each time you look something up online. When you choose us as your charity, we get a penny back each time you do an online search. GoodSearch now by going HERE.
2. We have a shop where you can purchase B and O logo items online at Zazzle.com. You can make your own Black and Orange logo t-shirts, shirts for your pampered pooch, or buy stamps and cards that feature rescued cats. Many of the photos we received in past calendar contests have now been made into really, really cool stamps. Buy those now and you can put them on your holiday cards and know that we are getting a portion back from that purchase, too–we get part of the proceeds!! Show your support for B and O in the coming year by wearing our logo!
3. AmazonSmile allows you to shop and give back to a favorite charity at the same time. Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charity you pick. Black and Orange is signed up with AmazonSmile, so you can choose us when you shop on Amazon by starting on the Smile.Amazon.com web site. For more info or to start shopping, go HERE.
4. Hooray for the Underdog cards, journals, and notepads all feature rescued animals. On the backs of the cards, the animal’s story is told–abandoned in boxes, left alone on doorsteps–these animals all had unhappy past lives before becoming a star on the covers of Hooray for the Underdog cards. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of all Hooray for the Underdog items goes back to support rescues and shelters.
5. Rescue Chocolate donates 100% of their net profits to animal rescue organizations nationwide. With flavor names that draw attention to many pet issues, the packaging is as creative as the candy is delicious. From Peanut Butter Pit Bull to Mission Feral Fig (our favorite as it highlights the importance of Trap-Neuter-Return), these 100% Vegan products are sure to make nice stocking stuffers this holiday season.
6. B and O is enrolled in the Kroger Community Rewards Program. As you know, Kroger will give us money based upon the percentage spent by participating members who designate B and O as their charity of choice. If you are shopping at Kroger this holiday season for all the fixings for your family dinners or even for gifts for those on your “nice list,” make sure you are signed up to designate B and O to receive a percentage of what you spend this year on holiday must haves.
The number you need to use to designate your purchases for Black and Orange is 84918.
You can sign up for the Kroger Community Rewards Program by clicking HERE.
7. Many people work for companies that will match their donations. For a list of over 100 companies that will match donations, go HERE and look for your employer on the list. You will need to scroll down to see the list. Don’t see your company on the list? Stop in your human resources department and ask them if your workplace has a matching program. If they do, you can help the charity of your choice even more!
8. This holiday season help prevent animal homelessness. Millions of cats and dogs are lost every year in U.S. shelters due to companion animal overpopulation. This year “Gift a Fix” and help prevent animal homelessness.
Many kind hearted people bring abandoned animals into their homes and families, but find even a low cost spay or neuter beyond their budget during a period of economic hardship. GetYourFix.org provides them with the hope that they will not contribute to the population of unwanted animals.
Why you should Gift a Fix?
1. Reduce the homeless animal population. – Expense is one of the top reasons why caregivers fail to spay or neuter their animals. FiXiT’s solution for assisting those going through hard times prevents new litters from contributing to the homeless animal population.
2. Great last minute gift.
3. Fits every budget. – Gift a Fix donations start as low as $25. For $100, you will receive a personal letter describing the animal benefactor, profiled on GetYourFix, and ongoing updates about the cat or dog’s spay or neuter.
Gift a Fix this holiday season and make a difference for our best friends. You can Gift a Fix by going HERE.